This Paleo Peppermint Brownie Roll is a guest favorite at holiday parties!
December is always a challenging month when it comes to food and trying to stay healthy. It seems like every weekend in December there is a Christmas party of some sort that we are invited to attend. And when there’s a party, there is food. In the past, party foods have been a bit of a struggle for me, especially the desserts at parties. I’ve found that it’s easy to stick with healthy choices for pretty much everything else except desserts.
Before, I’ve given into the temptations of beautiful looking, sugar loaded cakes and pies at parties that have left my tummy feeling awful. So I came up with a new strategy and it’s been working really well for me. I now bring a “healthier” dessert to parties. Even if I’m asked to bring something else, I’ll always bring a dessert, too. I make sure my dessert is full of wholesome ingredients that aren’t loaded with refined sugars or grains. And it’s something I can feel good about eating, too. The best part about bringing your own dessert is that it’s a great opportunity to show others that healthy doesn’t have to mean boring or bland.
And I think this paleo peppermint brownie roll is anything but boring and bland, don’t you agree?! Not only is it fun to look at and so festive, but it’s also ridiculously good. It’s so good that my friends and family are requesting that I bring the peppermint brownie roll at every Christmas party. The first time I made it, everyone was floored that it didn’t have grains or dairy in it – they were shocked to know that is was full of healthier, wholesome, real food ingredients! Love that! 🙂
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted (Find HERE)
- 1 cup coconut milk or milk of choice (I use THIS)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons pure honey or sweetener of choice (you can add more if you desire it sweeter)
- ½ cup coconut flour (do NOT substitute another flour – it will not work. Find HERE)
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (13.5 oz) can full fat coconut milk (You need to refrigerate your can of coconut milk at least overnight so it will whip well - I use THIS coconut milk)
- 2 tablespoons honey or sweetener of choice
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- ⅓ cup all natural dark chocolate chips or pieces (I use THESE dairy & soy free chocolate chips)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Optional toppings: dark chocolate shavings, unsweetened shredded coconut, chopped dried fruit: raspberries, cherries, strawberries, cranberries, etc., fresh mint, dark chocolate chips or pieces, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 15x10 raised edge baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the eggs, coconut oil, 1 cup of coconut milk (or milk of choice), honey and vanilla together in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt together. Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the brownie batter (batter will be very thin) onto a parchment lined 15x10 raised edge baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until center is completely cooked through and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- After it's done baking, let cool for a few minutes until it is warm to the touch (do not let it cool completely). Using your parchment paper, start with the small side (the 10 inch side) and roll it up with the parchment paper. Roll it up nice and tight and then let it completely cool.
- While it's cooling, make your peppermint filling (directions below).
- Once your brownie roll has cooled completely, unroll it from the parchment paper and spread your peppermint filling completely over the roll.
- Roll it back up, nice and tight starting with the smaller side - the 10 inch side. You can use the parchment paper to guide you as you roll, but you don't want to roll it up with the parchment paper. Don't worry if you feel it cracking - just keep rolling nice and tight!
- Now it's time to add your chocolate topping.
- Add any of the additional optional toppings.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour so the filling can firm up a bit.
- Serve by slicing in 1 inch slices or keep refrigerated until ready to enjoy!
- Scoop just the cream out of the refrigerated coconut milk can.
- Place the coconut cream in a bowl and whip until soft peaks form.
- Add in honey, vanilla, and peppermint.
- Continue whipping until thick and peaks form.
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil over low heat.
- Stir until smooth and melted.
- Pour chocolate glaze all over the roll.
I hope you and your guests love this as much as mine do! Please let me know if you make it!