These gluten free dandelion muffins are packed with delicious lemon and blueberry flavors. The addition of dandelion petals tastes like sweet honey and are wonderful nutrition. These dandelion muffins are gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free and kid approved.
Gluten Free Dandelion Muffins (Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free)
Once spring arrives, it won’t be long until you can find dandelions popping up everywhere.
Cheery, bright, brilliant and lovers of sunshine, these resilient plants grow just about anywhere and everywhere – even in cracks of sidewalks!
Most people grumble at their appearance or even spray chemicals on them and kill them. But not me. I welcome their bright, cheery presence. I use them as food and medicine for my family!
One of our favorite family spring activities is collecting dandelions out of our yard to make wine, fritters, lemonade and these delicious dandelion muffins.
Dandelions are edible and medicinal
Every part of the dandelion is edible, including the flowers, leaves, seeds and the root. I love adding the flowers and petals to salads, desserts and of course, using them for these muffins! The roots can be dried and put in tea.
Dandelions are highly nutritious and a wonderful source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They are are anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antibacterial, anti-fungal & antimicrobial. Dandelion supports skin health, liver health, immune health and bone health. Dandelion also helps balance blood sugar and improves digestion.
Another favorite dandelion recipe around here is my Dandelion Violet Lemonade recipe! So good!
These gluten free dandelion muffins are dairy free and refined sugar free and full of great nutrition. So far, kids (and adults!) of all ages have loved them. And the kids have a blast being great helpers by hunting for dandelions in the yard and then carefully picking off their petals 🙂
These muffins have a cake-like texture and the dandelion petals provide a slightly sweet taste of honey. They are absolutely delicious!
So go ahead and have some fun foraging for dandelions in your yard this spring and summer and don’t forget to make these dandelion muffins! I think you’ll have a lot of fun connecting with nature and seeing how delicious wild foods can be!
Gluten Free Dandelion Muffins Recipe:
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup unsweetened vanilla coconut or almond milk
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested (about ¼ cup lemon juice and 1 tablespoon lemon zest)
- ½ cup maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- ¼ cup refined coconut oil, melted (or butter or other oil of choice)
- 1 ½ cups gluten free baking flour (OR 1 cup almond flour + 1 cup tapioca flour + 3 tablespoons coconut flour)
- 1 cup dandelion petals (yellow petals only)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of sea salt
- ½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Stir everything, except blueberries, together in a medium mixing bowl until well blended.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Pour batter ¾ full into a muffin paper lined or lightly oiled muffin pan and bake for 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until tops are golden. Enjoy!