Grain Free Pizza Meatballs
That’s kind of a big deal in my world because he’s pretty picky about his pizza. If you haven’t tried that recipe yet and are looking for a good and easy grain-free pizza crust, give it a try this week. It only takes about 5 minutes to whip up so it’s great for a busy weeknight!
But back to these pizza meatballs…..
They hit the spot, that’s for sure! They are super flavorful and we just love them. There’s a lot of nutrition packed in those babies, too. The secret to a moist meatball is loading those meatballs up with veggies. Not only does it make the meatballs really flavorful, but the veggies help keep the meatballs from drying out.
My basic pizza meatballs recipe calls for mushrooms, red peppers and olives, but I’d love for you to get creative and sub in or add your favorite veggies or pizza toppings to make this recipe work for you and your family.
Here’s 3 of our other favorite combos to get your creative juices flowing:
Zucchini, sun dried tomatoes and spinach = Yum!
Pineapple, green peppers and chives = You’ll love that combo!
Marinated artichoke hearts, roasted red pepper and kale = So delish!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. I’d love to hear about your favorite pizza toppings and how you adapt this recipe to those toppings so don’t forget to leave me a comment if you get creative with this recipe!
Oh and see those breadsticks in the pizza meatballs picture? I have the easiest grain-free recipe that you are going to LOVE coming up in a few days for them. Keep your eyes open – it’s a good one 😉
Pizza Meatballs Recipe:
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork sausage
- 1 cup onion, finely diced (about 1 medium onion)
- 1 cup mushrooms, finely diced (8 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons black olives, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons roasted red pepper or raw red pepper, finely diced
- optional: ¼ cup Romano or Parmesan cheese
- Pizza Sauce (I often use THIS one) for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Shape into golf ball sized meatballs and place on a raised edge baking pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through and lightly browned on top. If you would like the meatballs darker on top, turn top rack to broil and broil for a minute or two.
- Serve with pizza sauce.