You guys are in for a real treat today! I am sooooo excited to introduce Jamaican It Paleo, a Jamaican Husband/ US Wife who teamed up to create authentic Jamaican Paleo recipes. How cool is that?!!! Not only do they create some bangin’ recipes, but Alex and Kim are some of the nicest people you’d ever want to meet and have such a uniquely refreshing and cool vibe about them – you’ll love them and their recipes as much as me, I just know it 🙂 Their blog is already jam packed with amazing recipes that are FULL of flavor – I can’t wait for you to check it out and try some of their recipes for yourself.
Waa Gwan! This recipe is not only one of my favorite Jamaican dishes, but it is one of the most easy and fast meals to make. This is a weeknight meal that you can put together in under 30 minutes…and when it comes to real food…we all need a quick-fast-go-to-meal that we can get on the table during a crazy week. I will eat this with some rice while my wife, who avoids grains, will eat it with some fried plantain, stewed cabbage, sweet potatoes or just a big green salad. For more about us or what we eat, read this and this.
The shrimp we used are frozen 30/40 size shrimp but it doesn’t matter which kind you use so long as you use one pound of shrimp. The secret to cooking this recipe is to not overcook the shrimp otherwise they will be come too tough. Once the shrimp is pink and firm, it is ready and since shrimp cooks fairly fast, the way we throw them in the end into steamy curry sauce, you will be sure they will be finished…and DELICIOUS! We use this curry seasoning and this paleo ketchup. The one thing that Jamaican food is known for is the flavor and this recipe has all of that and more. Give it a try, you will NOT be disappointed! If you want an entire evening that has a taste of the islands, make sure you top it off with some paleo Jamaican Rum and Raisin Ice Cream for dessert…YEAH MON!
Jamaican Curry Shrimp from Jamaican It Paleo
- 1 lb. shrimp
- 1 green pepper (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 scallion (minced)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 teaspoons curry powder (divided)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt and black pepper (for shrimp) and 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper (for sauce)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper or habanero (whole)
- 1 tablespoon paleo ketchup (find recipe HERE)
- 1 cup of full fat coconut milk (like THIS)
- ¼ cup of water
- In a large mixing bowl, season shrimp with salt, black pepper, 2 tsp. curry powder and thyme and let sit for a few minutes.
- Heat oil on medium-high heat in a skillet and saute peppers, onion, scallion and garlic until onion is transparent.
- Add coconut milk, water, ketchup, and 2 tsp. of curry powder.
- Add in the shrimp and whole scotch bonnet pepper and cook for about 3-5 minutes until the shrimp is pink.
- Lower heat and simmer for another 3-5 minutes until curry sauce thickens.
- Add more sea salt and black pepper to taste and remove the scotch bonnet pepper to serve.
Jamaican It Paleo is a new website ran by a husband and father named Alex who created it along with his wife to originally chronicle their family’s recipes for their children. When his wife had to make some dietary changes, due to her health, they decided to make the focus of his cuisine the focus of her newfound paleo way of eating and living. Originally from Kingston, Jamaica and a US transplant, he was amazed at the way of eating and living in his new country. Jamaican It Paleo seems like a catchy phrase, but honestly, in Jamaica, they don’t do paleo…they just eat real food…and they COOK! In Jamaica, they love, they work, they cook and they eat—it’s that simple.
Jamaican It Paleo is a combination of food, culture and simple living tips. It’s a “likkle-bit-of-dis-an’-a-likkle-bit-of-dat”. Above all, Jamaican It Paleo seeks to inspire others to live a more simple and delicious life.
Click HERE to pin this Jamaican Curry Shrimp Recipe: