Jamaican Curry Shrimp Recipe
(Paleo, Keto, Whole30)
This recipe is not only one of my favorite Jamaican dishes, but it is one of the most easy and fast meals to make. This is a weeknight meal that you can put together in under 30 minutes…and when it comes to real food…we all need a quick-fast-go-to-meal that we can get on the table during the week.
The shrimp I use are frozen 30/40 size shrimp but it doesn’t matter which kind you use so long as you use one pound of shrimp. The secret to cooking this recipe is to not overcook the shrimp otherwise they will be come too tough. Once the shrimp is pink and firm, it is ready and since shrimp cooks fairly fast, the way we throw them in the end into steamy curry sauce, you will be sure they will be finished…and DELICIOUS! The one thing that Jamaican food is known for is the flavor and this recipe has all of that and more. Give it a try, you will NOT be disappointed!
Jamaican Curry Shrimp Recipe (Paleo, Keto, Whole30)
- 1 lb. shrimp
- 1 green pepper (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 scallion (minced)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 teaspoons curry powder (divided)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt and black pepper (for shrimp) and 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper (for sauce)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper or habanero (whole)
- 1 tablespoon ketchup (for Paleo/Keto/Whole30 ketchup use THIS)
- 1 cup of full fat coconut milk (like THIS)
- ¼ cup of water
- In a large mixing bowl, season shrimp with salt, black pepper, 2 tsp. curry powder and thyme and let sit for a few minutes.
- Heat oil on medium-high heat in a skillet and saute peppers, onion, scallion and garlic until onion is transparent.
- Add coconut milk, water, ketchup, and 2 tsp. of curry powder.
- Add in the shrimp and whole scotch bonnet pepper and cook for about 3-5 minutes until the shrimp is pink.
- Lower heat and simmer for another 3-5 minutes until curry sauce thickens.
- Add more sea salt and black pepper to taste and remove the scotch bonnet pepper to serve.
Click HERE to pin this Jamaican Curry Shrimp Recipe:
wow this looks so good. i have never tried curry anything but think i need to get some curry powder this weekend.
i ended up making it for dinner and it is amazing. the best shrimp recipe i’ve tried so far! has some heat but it is so flavorful.
this is delicious my family enjoyed it very much, thanks for sharing .