December dinners must be quick and easy for me. I have so much going on this month that I don’t have time to cook elaborate meals. So for the month of December, I’m posting a mini-series of easy, delicious dinners called One Pan Wonders. I call them this because that’s what they are: throw wholesome ingredients together on one baking pan, bake, and ta-dah! Out comes an amazing healthy dinner, full of flavor that literally took minutes to make. Dinner doesn’t get better than that! This particular one pan wonder is one of my fav’s. I love the contrast of the spicy, savory sausage and the sweet, mild winter squash. And don’t forget that fresh sage – It really takes the flavor up a few notches!
If you don’t like hot sausage, feel free to substitute with a milder or sweet sausage, as well.
One Pan Wonder: Italian Sausages with Winter Squash
- 1 lb rope sausage
- 1 winter squash (acorn, kabocha, delicata, etc.), halved ,seeded and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 red onion, cut in half and sliced in thick ½ inch slices
- 2-3 tablespoons oil/fat of choice (I use avocado oil)
- 5 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Optional: Grated Romano or Parmesan cheese (omit for dairy-free or Whole 30)
- Optional: Toppings: sliced green onion or parsley
Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Put the squash and onion slices on the pan. Pour your oil/fat over the vegetables and toss around until coated. Season with salt and pepper and add your sage leaves. Add sausages to the pan. Roast for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Turn on the broiler and sprinkle Romano cheese all over. Broil for 3 minutes or until cheese and sausages are nice and browned. Top with green onions, if desired. Enjoy!
Also view our Top 10 Whole30 Dinner Recipes here!Disclaimer and Affiliate Disclosure Information