I am so, so excited to share today’s post with you. Yes, that’s so, SO excited! The Clean Dish has quickly become my #1 favorite cooking blog and I think you’ll see why after reading this recipe from Rose, the author and creator of this real food blog. Her photos are stunning, her recipes are amazing and she is one cool chick. I first fell in love with The Clean Dish after making her Raspberry “Better Than Cheesy” Cheesecake. Talk about divine! After that I tried her Coconut Surprise Bars. All I can say is go make them now In my eyes, Rose can do no wrong and everything she posts is pure gold. I love her creativity, her food photography and her passion for real food. Take one look at this Key Lime Pie recipe she created especially for us and I know you’ll become a fan of hers just like I have! Make sure to follow along with The Clean Dish on facebook, too!
- Ingredients for Crust:
- 2 tablespoon coconut butter
- 6 Medjool dates
- 1 cup toasted almond slices
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Ingredients for Filling:
- 2 ripe avocados
- ¾ cup fresh squeezed lime juice (I used key limes but regular limes will work, too)
- ⅓ cup maple syrup (or honey for non-vegans)
- 1-2 tablespoon coconut flour (see notes)
- 2 cans of full fat coconut milk, refrigerated over night
- Instructions for Crust:
- -Slowly melt coconut butter over low heat (careful, it burns easily!)
- -In the meantime, pit and cut dates into small pieces and place in food processor; process for 1-2 mins
- -Add almond slices and coconut flakes and process again for about 1-2 minutes
- -Finally, add coconut butter, vanilla extract and salt and process until you have a sticky, crumbly mass
- -Press crust into pie dish and refrigerate
- Instructions for Filling:
- -Peel avocados and place in food processor together with lime juice, maple syrup and coconut flour and process until smooth and thick
- -Carefully remove coconut milk from refrigerator (don't shake!), open coconut milk cans and scoop out cream that has accumulated at the top into a separate bowl (you won't need the coconut milk for this recipe; I recommend making a smoothie with it!)
- -Whisk with a hand mixer until thick and stiff; until it resembles regular dairy whipped cream (see notes)
- -Add avocado mix to coconut cream and continue with hand mixer until well incorporated
- -Pour filling into pie dish and place in freezer for 2-3h or until the center is firm
- -Transfer to refrigerator and chill for another 2h before serving
- -Keep refrigerated
Meet Rose from The Clean Dish
Hi – My name is Rose! I am a German citizen, real food advocate, military wife and since February 2013, author of the recipe blog The Clean Dish. We currently live in North Florida – but home is where the Army sends us!
I enjoy developing recipes and just started getting into food photography. All of my recipes are grain free, processed sugar free and some are vegan. If I’m not busy in the kitchen, I like to go on long walks with my feisty little Eskimo dog Biscuit. I try to stay active as I believe physical fitness is the key to a balanced life style – I love trail running, rock climb, snorkeling and cross country skiing – if I ever get the chance.
I dream about traveling the world to write about food and artisan wine but for now, I am perfectly happy with a simple life of home cooked meals, dinner with friends and weekend trips to the beach. Come on over and visit me at The Clean Dish to check out my latest creations!
Disclaimer and Affiliate Disclosure Information