Chipotle Meatballs, Caramelized Red Onions and Strawberry Compote Over Arugula
We just moved to a new state (hello, Pennsylvania!) and I was on the hunt to find new organic and natural farms that would nourish my family with rich sources of nutrition. The first farm I discovered provided me with fresh arugula, strawberries and green onions. (If you want to find natural farms in your area, here is where to find them!)
Oh and see the holes in my arugula? I love that because it means that bugs could actually live on my produce. No chemicals – woo! You definitely wouldn’t see holey arugula in the supermarket and I’m willing to bet that my farm fresh arugula tastes so much sweeter and spicier than store bought. I love my holey arugula!
I was determined to make a meal out of all my new farm fresh, local ingredients and this is what I came up with. To say we loved this dinner would be a complete understatement. The spicy meatballs combined with the sweet fruit was such a fantastic flavor combination. And my holey arugula – oh so good!
The added mushrooms are the secret to making the meatballs really moist without grains or eggs. You would never know the mushrooms were in there, so if you have a picky mushroom hating kid, they’ll never know
Also, this strawberry compote is so delicious! I’ve also been enjoying it over coconut ice cream and yogurt so you might want to make a double batch. It would also make a great dipping sauce for chicken.
We served this with sweet potato fries on the side and it was one of the best meals we’ve eaten in awhile! I hope you get to try it – leave a comment if you do
- Chipotle Meatballs:
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped (about ½ a medium onion)
- ½ cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, seeds removed (unless you like it really spicy!), finely
chopped (or you can use ½ – 1 tsp chipotle chile powder instead)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Caramelized Red Onions:
- 1 large red onion, cut in half and sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons olive, coconut oil or butter
- sea salt, to taste
- Strawberry Compote:
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or butter
- pinch of sea salt
- Serving Ingredients:
- Arugula, torn (about 1-2 cups per serving)
- 3-4 green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine all the meatball ingredients in a large bowl and mix until incorporated.
- Shape into desired size meatball and place on a rimmed baking pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, place the oil and onions in a skillet over medium low heat.
- Sprinkle a bit of sea salt over the onions.
- Cook for about 15 minutes or until caramelized.
- Combine the strawberry compote ingredients in a pot over medium heat.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring/mashing occasionally, until reduced and
- Place fresh arugula on each plate.
- Add the caramelized onions.
- Place the meatballs on top of the onions.
- Spoon the strawberry compote over the meatballs.
- Top with fresh green onions.
© Primally Inspired. My posts are copyrighted information. Do not repost my full recipe or post on your blog, Facebook, or any other website. Posting ingredients and sharing my photos is permitted with a link back to my site for the full recipe or post.FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.