Caramel Apple Crisp (Gluten Free, No Refined Sugar)
Caramel Apple Crisp?! Yes, please!
Warm cinnamon covered apples topped with a caramel topping. Mmmm! It’s just magnificent. And that smell coming out of the oven….ohmigosh, how I love that smell.
This Gluten Free Caramel Apple Crisp recipe is super simple to whip together and delicious enough to serve your dinner guests. You can even prep it ahead of time so you can just pop it in the oven whenever you fancy.
And unlike traditional apple crisps that are loaded with sugar, this is a no refined sugar apple crisp!
I chose to use coconut sugar for this recipe. Coconut sugar is a great replacement for brown sugar. It’s unrefined with a deep, rich caramel flavor, which makes it the perfect choice for this caramel apple crisp. One of the really great things about coconut sugar is that it’s low glycemic, so it won’t cause a huge spike in your blood sugar like regular sugar and brown sugar will. I use THIS coconut sugar – it’s hand harvested, fair traded and sustainably grown.
And just a quick note to my long-time readers — Yes, I use oats for this recipe. I do enjoy my oats every so often, especially for an apple crisp. If you are eating a strict Grain-Free diet, you know I wouldn’t forget about you! I included a wonderful grain-free alternative to oats that is just as delicious that I know you’ll love 🙂
I hope you enjoy this caramel apple crisp as much as we have been. Don’t forget to top it with some whipped coconut cream or vanilla ice cream if you’re feeling extra special!
Gluten Free Caramel Apple Crisp Recipe :
- 4 medium apples, peeled and sliced, about 4 cups
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour or arrowroot flour (I use THIS)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (Find HERE)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup milk of choice (coconut, almond, dairy, etc. - I use THIS)
- ⅓ cup tapioca flour or arrowroot flour
- ⅓ cup butter, ghee or refined coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- 1⅓ cup rolled oats (I use THESE) *For a wonderful Grain-Free alternative, see notes below
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the sliced apples in a 8x8 inch baking dish. Pour the lemon juice over the apples and mix until combined. Pour the 1 tablespoon tapioca flour, 1 tablespoon coconut sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon over the apples and stir until coated.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all the caramel oat topping ingredients, except the oats and stir until smooth. Add in the oats and stir until well coated.
- Top the apples with the oat mixture. Bake for 35 minutes until top is golden brown and sides are bubbling. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
1 cup nuts of choice, chopped (walnuts, almonds, pecans, etc.)
1/4 cup seeds of choice (I love using THESE pumpkin seeds)
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (THIS is what I like to use)
Follow the recipe as is substituting the nuts/seeds/coconut flake mixture for the oats, except don't add the topping to the apple mixtures until the last 15 minutes of bake time. Enjoy! 🙂
Pin Gluten Free Apple Crisp Recipe HERE: