Honey Chipotle Chicken
Need an easy & yummy dinner? Try these Honey Chipotle Chicken Drumsticks! They are just a touch sweet and just a touch spicy and oh SO good!
This is one of my go-to drumstick recipes. We love serving this honey chipotle chicken recipe alongside sweet potato fries and then using my Southwest Avocado Ranch for dipping. Yum!
I’m a huge fan of freezer cooking and this honey chipotle chicken recipe is one of my tried and true healthy freezer meals. When I get home from shopping at the market, I tear open the drumstick package, make the super simple honey chipotle marinade and put it all in a big freezer bag. Then I pop the bag in the freezer. Boring drumsticks just got turned into a flavorful, much loved dinner in less than 5 minutes time!
These are extra delicious cooked on the grill during the summertime, too. Another great pairing with these honey chipotle chicken drumsticks is a simple fresh avocado salsa (recipe for avocado salsa HERE). Enjoy the recipe!
Honey Chipotle Chicken Recipe:
- 3 lbs drumsticks (8-10 drumsticks)
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder (I use THIS one)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 lime, juiced, about 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons honey or sweetener of choice (THIS is a great, low glycemic option, too)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil (I use THIS)
- optional for garnish: extra lime slices to squeeze over the chicken and/or chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine chipotle chili powder, garlic powder, sea salt, the juice of 1 lime, honey and oil in a small bowl and stir until well blended.
- Pour the mixture over chicken drumsticks in a sealable container or a gallon sized plastic bag. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and place the drumsticks on a raised edge baking pan or 9x13 casserole dish. Bake for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, spoon some of the drippings over each drumstick and bake for 5 more minutes or until skin is golden brown and starting to blister.
- To serve: Spoon some of the remaining drippings over each drumstick and serve with lime wedges and chopped fresh cilantro.
Place the drumsticks in a gallon sized freezer bag. Pour the marinade over the chicken, making sure to get each piece well coated. Place the bag in the freezer. When ready to cook, let thaw and cook as directed.