Grain Free Breadsticks
Grain Free Breadsticks that are delicious and take less than 5 minutes of prep – what’s not to love about that?
My grandmother is 100% Italian and let’s just say that together we share a deep love of Italian foods. Breadsticks, pizza, pasta, bread, spaghetti sauce, meatballs, oh my! What’s an Italian food loving, grain-free gal going to do?
Thankfully, I re-created all my favorite Italian dishes into just as delicious, but healthy, grain-free and paleo friendly options (see bottom of this post for the links to my favs!). Most recently, I created these grain free breadsticks that have been a huge hit around here…even my grandmother approves 😉
So just because you are eating Paleo, Grain Free or Gluten Free doesn’t mean you have to give up breadsticks!
We love serving these grain free breadsticks alongside my pizza meatballs (find recipe HERE) and Italian meatballs (find recipe HERE). They are so good dipped in spaghetti sauce or olive oil with fresh herbs, too!
If you are an Italian food lover, but have been missing out on breadsticks, I hope you’ll give this grain free and paleo friendly version a try. I think you’ll be impressed!
And as always, I love when you use my recipes as a springboard for your ideas or change it up a bit to suite your families tastes. The recipe down below is my family’s favorite version, but I encourage you to play around with different herbs, use your garden fresh herbs, herb infused olive oils, etc. I really love hearing from you, so if you make this recipe or get creative with it, leave me a comment and let me know! Or if you just want to say hi, I love that, too 🙂
Grain Free Breadsticks Recipe:
- ⅓ cup olive oil or avocado oil (I use THIS)
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 cup arrowroot powder or tapioca starch (I use THIS)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning (I use THIS)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- optional: ¼ cup Romano or Parmesan cheese (omit for dairy-free)
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- extra olive oil, Italian seasoning or fresh herbs (fresh basil and thyme are good choices) and cheese for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add the oil and water to a small pot over medium heat.
- While the oil and water are heating up, add your arrowroot, spices, baking powder and cheese to a medium sized mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Once the oil and water are boiling, remove the pot from the heat and add the oil/water to the arrowroot bowl. Stir until combined.
- Add in your egg and stir. Finally, add in your coconut flour and stir until the mixture forms a dough.
- Shape the dough into a ball and using your hands or a rolling pin, roll out into a ¼ inch thick long oval.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the top starts to turn lightly golden.
- Drizzle a small amount of olive oil over the warm bread. Top with an extra sprinkle of Parmesan or Romano cheese, Italian seasoning and/or fresh herbs. Cut into 1.5 inch slices and enjoy!