High Protein, Fat Burning Breakfast Smoothie Recipe with simple, all natural ingredients that help control cravings, boost metabolism and can help you lose weight!
Fat Burning Breakfast Smoothie Recipe
We’ve all heard the nutrition advice that we shouldn’t skip breakfast because it’s the most important meal of the day. But what that advice fails to tell us is that it’s WHAT we eat for breakfast that is really the important part.
The reason that’s so important is that what you eat for breakfast sets the tone for how your body runs and feels…. for the entire day!
Health Benefits of a High Protein Breakfast
Just by eating a high protein breakfast (at least 25 grams of protein, ideally 35-40 grams), you’ll have lower sugar cravings, increased energy and focus, stable blood sugar, and a boosted metabolism (which helps you lose fat) that extends throughout the entire day. (source, source, source).
But when you eat a breakfast high in carbohydrates, you’ll very likely feel hungry two hours later, crave carbs and sugar all day, stress your metabolism (which ramps up fat storage signals), have roller coaster blood sugar, and likely be a bit moody, irritable…plus, you’ll have more trouble focusing.
Sound familiar at all? If so, you aren’t alone! I used to eat a bagel and/or cereal every morning and experienced these unpleasant symptoms every day. What a night and day difference eating a high protein breakfast made for me!
A high protein breakfast has profound effects on the neurotransmitters that control hunger, brain function and energy levels. A high protein breakfast produces a gradual and sustained increase in blood sugar which results in a consistent nutrient supply to the brain and muscles. It keeps us full and satisfied longer and ramps up our metabolism and fat burning capabilities.
A Small Change Makes a Big Difference
If you find yourself constantly hungry, craving sweets, lacking energy and/or perhaps having a hard time losing weight, I invite you to try my Fat Burning Breakfast Smoothie Recipe (or just follow this breakfast nutrition advice by eating more protein – at least 25 grams, ideally 35-40 grams – and less carbohydrates in the morning) for one week to see if you notice a difference.
This isn’t about restricting anything or making any major changes. This is just one simple breakfast change that can make a drastic difference in your health. Your metabolism will get a nice boost, you won’t crave nearly as much sugar, your brain will run optimally and your entire body will run so much smoother. All of that makes a big difference in your health, waistline, relationships, school/career, mood, energy levels and your happiness.
Seriously! I’ve personally experienced this, but here’s some of my favorite feedback about what others have said after following this simple high protein breakfast advice:
- “I effortlessly lost 7 pounds the first two weeks just by following your high protein breakfast advice.”
- “I don’t crave sweets nearly as much. For this cookie lover, that’s a small miracle.”
- “I used to crash at 10 am, but now I have so much more energy!”
- “I’m guilty of being hangry (angry/hungry for those unfamiliar with the slang term) and my family knew it was best to avoid me until I ate. I don’t get like that when I eat a high protein breakfast.”
- “It’s made a big difference with our whole family, but especially my son who had a lot of trouble focusing in school. Even his teacher noticed.”
- “I’m down 2 sizes this month and I can’t believe that’s all it took. I feel better than ever and am motivated to make even more healthy changes. Thank you!”
And all this was from one simple change: at least 25 grams of protein in the morning. So simple, right?!
My Fat Burning Breakfast Secret
To make it super easy, I formulated a High Protein, Fat Burning Breakfast Smoothie Recipe that I’ve been personally consuming for years. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big advocate of eating a protein packed, real food breakfast and I try to eat one as often as a can (my favorite is an omelet packed with leftover chicken, spinach, sprinkled with Romano cheese, served with a side of fruit – yum!!!). And if you can do a nice home cooked breakfast everyday, then by all means, do it. But at this point in my life, that’s just not practical.
So I formulated an easy breakfast smoothie recipe that would meet my requirements for a healthy, high protein breakfast filled with a nice balance of healthy fats and nourishing ingredients so it would give my body a great start to run it’s very best all day. And now I’m giving my personal recipe to you. It’s my hope that this simple change can make just as big of a difference for you as it’s made for me and many others.
My high protein, Fat Burning Breakfast Smoothie recipe contains everything you need to get started on the right foot: antioxidant rich fruit and veggies, a lot of high quality, healthy protein (my base recipe starts at 27 grams of protein, but with one of the recommended optional add-ins, you’ll get 40 grams of protein each morning! That’s just the amount we want!) and I can’t forget those wonderful healthy fats for brain and hormone health and that help boost metabolism. Plus, it is absolutely delicious! I look forward to it each morning 🙂
A Word About Protein Powders
It’s no secret that in the past I haven’t been a huge fan of protein powders. Most out there are filled with artificial, low quality ingredients and unhealthy fillers. But recently, some truly great protein powder options have entered the market that I’m really excited about. I’ve tried many of the “good” ones and my personal favorite protein powder is from Vital Proteins. The ingredients, the taste, the texture and the quality, in my option, are unmatched.
Not to mention, each serving of Vital Proteins Cocoa Protein comes with:
- a whopping 27 grams of high quality protein
- 15,000 mg of collagen (SO good for skin and joints…many doctors even call it the best anti-aging product of the century!)
- 2B CFU of protbiotics (for healthy digestion and gut health!)
That makes me so happy – it’s like it does triple duty and you know how much I love multi-tasking 🙂
There’s no added sugars and nothing artificial….just high quality, simple, real ingredients. This stuff is the bomb! It comes in 3 flavors: cocoa, vanilla and organic unflavored. We like the cocoa the best, but we’ve truly enjoyed all of them. If you are looking for a great quality protein powder filled with nourishing ingredients (and that actually tastes really good!), these are my favorite options.
If you already have a high quality protein powder that you love, great! Use your favorite protein powder with this recipe, but if not, I invite you to try Vital Proteins. I think you’ll love it and taste and feel a difference!
Fat Burning Protein Smoothie Recipe
- ½ cup coconut milk or milk of choice ( I use THIS)
- 1 banana
- 1 handful leafy greens (either fresh or frozen)
- 2 scoops of your favorite protein powder (for whey allergies, use Collagen Peptides Protein)
- 1 cup of ice
- optional sweetener: 1-2 teaspoons honey, 1 date or sweetener of choice (I use THIS)
- optional recommendations for additional protein: 1 or 2 raw eggs (2 eggs adds 12 grams of additional protein and a powerhouse of good nutrients that are great for brain and hormone health. You can't taste it, I promise!) If you aren't comfortable with consuming raw eggs, adding in ½ cup of plain Greek yogurt will give you about 15 extra grams of protein!
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Enjoy!
There’s also a ton of room for your creativity in this protein smoothie recipe…switch out the fruit. Add in a tablespoon of your favorite nut butter for extra nutrition. Or add in some super food supplements (recommendations HERE). I can’t wait to hear some yummy combinations you come up with! I’d also love to hear your results from switching to a high protein breakfast…personal stories are my favorite 🙂