You guys! My life has changed since I came up with paleo tortillas. I understand it’s only been 3 days since I came up with this recipe, but it is changed. Changed!
You see, my husband and I have been Paleo for over 5 years now. We love the way we feel, we love the way we look, and we love the real, fresh, nutrient dense foods that all come from eating a Paleo diet. But we often get asked if we miss bread.
We both agree that we don’t necessarily miss the taste of bread (truthfully, it tastes like cardboard to us now), but we do miss the convenience of eating things with our hands like sandwiches, wraps, TACOS (!!!), etc. Especially tacos.
So the other night I was craving fajitas. And yes, I could have made and eaten the fajita filling, which is what we typically would do. And it would have been great. But sometimes a girl just wants a real fajita. With a tortilla.
So what’s a paleo girl to do?
Make paleo tortillas, of course!
It took a whole day of experimenting with this recipe, but I am SO excited about the end product.
They are perfectly pliable.
They even look like a corn tortilla, right?!
The first night of making the paleo tortillas, we had fajitas (my favorite fajita recipe coming soon). The next night we had fish tacos. And tonight I’m making crepes with whipped coconut cream and strawberries. Swoon.
So as you can see, this paleo tortillas recipe is very versatile. Use it for wraps. Use it for TACOS (can you tell I have a thing for tacos yet?). Use it for desserts. The possibilities are endless!
You can even make a few batches and keep them in your fridge or freezer so you always have them on hand.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do Enjoy!
Paleo Tortillas Recipe:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter, ghee or other fat of choice
- ½ cup canned pumpkin or cooked, mashed sweet potato (I use THIS)
- 1 - ¼ cup arrowroot powder or tapioca starch (They are interchangeable for this recipe. I use THIS)
- ¼ cup ground flax or chia/flax blend (I use THIS)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup water
- optional: ½ teaspoon chili powder for tortillas using tex-mex recipes or ½ teaspoon vanilla and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon for tortillas using dessert recipes
- Mix together eggs, melted butter, pumpkin or sweet potato until smooth.
- Stir in arrowroot or tapioca starch, flax blend and sea salt. (If you are using the chili powder or the vanilla/cinnamon, add it now)
- Add in water and whisk until well combined. Batter will be runny.
- Heat an 8 inch skillet on medium heat.
- Remove the pan from heat and using a ½ cup measuring cup, add ½ cup batter to the pan. Swirl the pan so the batter completely covers the bottom of the skillet.
- Put the pan back on the burner for about 30 seconds - 1 minute.
- You'll know it's time to flip when the tortilla moves around easily when you shake the pan. So flip and now cook the other side for 30 seconds - 1 minute.
- Repeat for remaining batter. Make sure to give the batter a little stir each time. You will have enough for 6 tortillas if you use an 8 inch skillet and ½ cup batter per tortilla.
Pin Paleo Tortillas Recipe HERE:
Disclaimer and Affiliate Disclosure Information