Dairy Free Dark Chocolate Peppermint Hot Cocoa and Peppermint Mocha Latte
My friend, Alisa suggested that I make these drinks for you for the holidays. Alisa and I have been friends for a long time and I always tell her that she’s my very favorite cook. Every summer, we pack up our husbands, our dogs, and ourselves and we all head to Trout Lake in upstate New York where we live on a little lake island for a week. And Alisa cooks every single meal for us – for the whole week! I could eat her food all day long and I’ve learned so much in the kitchen from her over the years. We both share an appreciation for good food and delicious recipes and we also share a love for peppermint mocha lattes.
The dairy free version of this hot chocolate using coconut milk is so rich, creamy and decadent and way better (and healthier!) than the kind that you get at those fancy coffee shops. There’s nothing better than sipping a delicious, hot beverage on a snowy, wintery day and this recipe definitely hits the spot. This recipe can easily be halved or doubled. Leftovers can be refrigerated and heated again.
- 2 cans of coconut milk, 14 oz each ( I use THIS)
- 3 tablespoons pure honey or sweetener of choice (more if you desire it sweeter)
- 5 tablespoons cacao powder (I use THIS)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- ⅓ cup all natural dark chocolate pieces or chips (I use THESE)
- pinch of sea salt
- 4 cups of freshly brewed coffee (THIS is great coffee!)
- Over medium low heat, whisk together the coconut milk, honey, cacao powder, vanilla, peppermint extract, salt, and chocolate chips/pieces.
- Stir constantly until chocolate is melted and mixture comes to a simmer.
- Pour in mugs and serve hot.
- Add any optional toppings and Enjoy!
- Prepare the hot chocolate as directed above.
- Fill your mug ¼ to ½ full with the peppermint hot cocoa (amount depends on your desired strong coffee flavor – I like a 50/50 mix, but that’s me).
- Fill the rest of the way with hot coffee and stir.
- Top with any optional toppings and serve. Enjoy!
- Place shredded, flaked or shaved coconut into a skillet over medium heat.
- Stir often and cook until most of the coconut turns golden brown. You can use unsweetened or sweetened coconut, but the sweetened coconut turns brown much faster than the unsweetened.
- To rim your glass: With a small brush (or your finger), thinly coat the rim of your glass with some warmed honey.
- Place the shredded coconut on a plate.
- Gently press the rim of the glass on the plate with the coconut.
- Gently rotate or rock back and forth until the coconut sticks to the rim of the glass.